Samsung announced its financial results for the first quarter of 2021, which ended in March, with sales of about $ 59 billion, contributing to an operating profit of $ 8.5 billion, which is the highest number in the first quarter since 2018.
On the same side, Samsung achieved 46% growth in net income compared to last year, achieving approximately $ 6.4 billion.
The sales of the leading S21 series phones contributed to the company’s sales growth in the mobile segment, and the mid-range phones with high potentials contributed to the increase in sales. While the company expects a decline in smart phone sales in the second quarter due to the weak supply of processors, which affects the manufacture of phones, but indicated its expectation to achieve new phones A52, A72 and A32 strong sales in the second quarter.
Samsung indicated the growth in sales of OLED screens in the first quarter due to the high demand and adoption by companies, in addition to the high demand for televisions, home applications and consumer products.
Contrary to the trend, Samsung said that the semiconductor division witnessed a decline in sales due to the weak supply and demand for memory cards, mainly memory cards, due to the stoppage of its factory in Texas, but it expected a remarkable boom in the second quarter of the year, especially with regard to the fifth generation technologies.
Samsung numbers in the first quarter:
- Sales of nearly $ 59 billion, up 18%, compared to the same period last year.
- Operating profit of $ 8.5 billion.
- Net income of $ 6.4 billion, a growth of 46%.
- Phone sales reached $ 25.5 billion, growing by 31%.
- Consumer product sales reached $ 11.7 billion, growing by 26%.
- OLED sales have reached $ 6.2 billion.
- Sales of semiconductors and memory cards reached $ 17.1 billion.
- Samsung’s numbers exceeded expectations in the first quarter in terms of profits, and the suspension of its semiconductor plant in Texas, USA, due to storms and power outages in the state for more than a month, caused losses of about $ 300 million to it.
It is noteworthy that the company’s plant in Texas has returned to work at 90% of its capacity now, according to the Korean News Agency.